Sunday, December 7, 2008

Graduation Gift

For my graduation I received lots of gifts, ranging from a vacuum cleaner to a miniature trash can, to the standard congratulations, we are so proud of you, card. Out of all these gifts, there was the one gift that I will forever keep with me, the gift that my Grandmother Rentschler gave me, my cozy quilt.

The quilt is pink with black forming the star pattern that makes up the quilt. In the center of the black stars is a white panel with words of wisdom on each block. The back of the quilt has a crazy pink and black material that keeps the plainness of the back interesting. On the bottom right hand corner, there is a very small label stitched that reads “Made with Love by Grandma.” The edge of the quilt is lined by two inches of black material with dainty white polka dots on it. The black material that makes the stars comes from various scraps of cloth, some of the black cloth was used to make a dress for my Mom when my Great-grandma died, and some was used to make the black undershirts that my uncles wore to their proms. The quilt is a mixture of old and new cloth that meshes together to create one blanket.

Looking at the quilt is always inspiring to me with the words of wisdom that are always useful in time of need. The blanket can warm me both physically and emotionally. Wrapping it around me I can almost feel the love that my Grandma put into making this gift for me. I will always be able to take this useful and sentimental gift with me no matter where I go in life.

No comments: