Monday, September 22, 2008

What is Comedy?



I truly believe that laughter is the best medicine. Laughing at things that are sarcastic, or laughing at things that are just plain humorous often brings the question to mind, just what is comedy? How can someone find something so not funny to you completely hilarious? My video that I found on You Tube takes a humorous approach to this very question. As I just stated the purpose of this video is to provide entertainment to the viewer, and make some sort of witty attempt to identify the different types of humor that people find amusing. The focus for me is on the man falling. Throughout the whole video I remain focused on the charismatic little man. When he didn’t appear on the scene I was questioning what was happening, was he still falling, was he going to keep falling forever, would he die if he hit the ground? When he was on the scene I was watching what he was doing and how his actions were related to what the writing just shown had said. I think that the fact that there are no spoken words adds a certain element to the video. This along with the lack of color make the video appear as if it were an instructional video from the ‘40s. The background music also adds an old fashioned sense of humor to the video like the “I Love Lucy” shows. If you don’t pay attention to or understand the meaning of the words during the video, you will totally miss the humor of the whole video. This is a good example of how important written words are to a video, usually when you watch movies or videos you only pay attention to the spoken words, but this makes you realize the importance of written language. Whatever your personal classification of humor is, enjoy the video, and have a few laughs!

No comments: