Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blog Post 2


Diagrams, such as the one that I have chosen, are a representation explaining a concept using pictures. Diagrams can help people to learn through using visual techniques. As a visual learner I find that diagrams often help me to better understand the concept of things.
The diagram that I have selected would help students in science and horticulture classes to understand the parts of the flower and where things are located. This diagram would be a very good learning device to use. It would be easier for me to understand where the different parts of a flower are using this diagram, rather than listening to someone telling me where they are at.
This diagram was originally on a site designed as a reference for biology students and teachers. Since I took it out of its original context, it changes from being the subject of research to the subject of discussion. Before I took it out of the research web page, it served as a tool for learning, it was the subject of research. Now that it is on my blog, it has become what I am referring to, the subject of discussion. As a writer who has borrowed this particular diagram, it is always important to cite my sources. If you were to look on the web you could find many different diagrams of a flower, but the one that I have on mine came from http://www.kensbiorefs.com/.
All of the main parts of the flower are labeled, so that the student, reader, or onlooker, can clearly tell where they are located. I wouldn’t have labeled them any differently, and I don’t think that there is a way that I could without changing the meaning of the diagram or making it inaccurate.
Diagrams, themselves, provide a good way of learning something. Writing, by itself, also can provide a good way of learning. Once you put the two together though, you have something that can provide a much deeper understanding than the two things by themselves.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

The subject of this blog was a flower diagram. Rachael stated that she learns best when she has visual representation. I know exactly how she feels. Being able to see the topic of discussion in class helps me visualize the lesson and learn the material better. I found it interesting that she discusses the fact that she changed the context of the diagram by removing it from its original setting. She classified the original context as the "subject of research" and changed it to the "subject of discussion". I don't really think of a diagram's context like I would the context of a paper or word. I is interesting to look at the different meanings and contexts various items can have. The thing I like about diagrams is that usually someone who is not versed in the particular subject matter of the diagram can usually follow and discussion involving the diagram, because they are self explanatory. They really are great teaching tools, especially for the sciences.